Re: MUA mutt

Hi

On Fri 17-Apr-2015 at 09:24:53AM -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> Please suggest that instead of making the root fs writable, as the
> latter will very quickly result in a filled root partition

If you ignore this advice and run out of space you can do something like
this:

  sudo -i
  apt-get clean
  mkdir /home/apt-archives
  chmod 700 /home/apt-archives/
  rsync -av /var/cache/apt/archives/ /home/apt-archives/
  cd /var/cache/apt/
  rm -rf archives
  ln -s /home/apt-archives archives

But I found I only needed to do this when using apt to upgrade the
phone, which, as has been pointed out, does tend to break it...

My humble suggestion to the wonderful Ubuntu Phone team would be to see
if a app for installing and running a chroot can be put together, like
the Android ones, (eg https://guardianproject.info/code/lildebi/) and
then whenever people ask about making their phone images writable and
installing things you can point them at this app... Telling long time
users of GNU/Linux that they can't have the tools they use every day in
a terminal on their phone isn't going to work -- this is why people like
me want a Ubuntu phone in the first place...

All the best

Chris

--
Webarchitects Co-operative