Re: Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 released

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 02:46:44PM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > * Short human-readable changelog:
> > http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/ota/ota-4.changelog

> Which includes: "Welcome wizard code now in Unity8, different
> tutorial design"

> > IMPORTANT NOTICE! Because of the switch to vivid, this update has
> > also two notable shortcomings. First, because the baseline changed,
> > the update weights over 400 MB so it might take a while to download
> > on slower internet access.

> If download size is a concern, why are we including an update to the
> first-run setup and tutorial, which no-one receiving the update --
> unless they choose "Erase & Reset Everything" -- will ever see?

> (I guess the answer is either, because it's a miniscule proportion of
> the total update; or because the first-run setup is part of unity8,
> and keeping that change out of OTA updates would be too difficult. If
> the latter, that raises two new questions.)

The real answer is "because it's part of the current version of the phone
image".  It would be madness to push updates to users, and have those
updates not bring them in sync with the same image that's current for new
installs.  This particular change may only be relevant to a small number of
users when pushed as part of an OTA update; but the two choices here are
to include the change for everybody, or to not make the change at all.

I'm sure this change's impact on the size of the delta download is minimal
in the face of all the other changes between ubuntu-rtm/14.09 and vivid.
With our current delta format, simply the fact that most binaries have been
rebuilt between releases will account for most of it, regardless of the
number or kind of bugfixes included in each.  (Nevertheless, the savings vs.
a full download is still substantial - the actual size of the delta download
for OTA-4 is about 250MB, rather than the over 400 it would have been as a
full, non-delta download.)

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx