Re: Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 released

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak wrote on 15/06/15 18:17:

> We have just released a big Ubuntu Touch update to the stable
> channel marked as OTA-4.

> * Short human-readable changelog:
> http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/ota/ota-4.changelog

Which includes: "Welcome wizard code now in Unity8, different
tutorial design"

> IMPORTANT NOTICE! Because of the switch to vivid, this update has
> also two notable shortcomings. First, because the baseline changed,
> the update weights over 400 MB so it might take a while to download
> on slower internet access.

If download size is a concern, why are we including an update to the
first-run setup and tutorial, which no-one receiving the update --
unless they choose "Erase & Reset Everything" -- will ever see?

(I guess the answer is either, because it's a miniscule proportion of
the total update; or because the first-run setup is part of unity8,
and keeping that change out of OTA updates would be too difficult. If
the latter, that raises two new questions.)

The bigger an update is, the fewer people will install it. Are we
tracking what proportion of phones have updates installed over time,
as Apple and Google do?

> The other is, also related to the switch, the update process might
> take longer than usual. On start apparmor profiles need to be
> regenerated which means the first boot after the upgrade might
> take long depending on the number of installed applications (even
> up to 30 minutes). Currently there will be no visual indication of
> the profile regeneration, so please be patient and wait until you
> see the UI appearing.

People who see a spinner, and nothing else, for more than about ten
minutes will reasonably assume that the update is stuck, and may try
restarting the phone.

This suggests that "hook into system-image updates to precompile
policy prior to reboot" <http://launchpad.net/bugs/1385410> and/or
"AppArmor policy compile improvements"
<http://launchpad.net/bugs/1350598> should be fixed before any future
updates that require regenerating profiles.

Cheers
- --
mpt