Re: Grid system's question

On 18.06.2015 12:36, Andrea Cimitan wrote:
> in the case of devices that cannot be divided by this desired number of
> grid units (bq 4.5, meizu mx4, nexus 4, nexus 7 for example have this
> problem, while the new bq 5" should be fine if I remember) we will try
> to add a black border that will be sensitive to touch, so edge gestures
> will be easier to trigger, while preserving a solid UI grid across
> devices. I tested on the Meizu and is really hard to notice...
> In case we notice some actual problems we will reconsider for that
> specific device.

If this means that the system will take care of this, that's good news.

However, I think that designers are using GU in an improper way, or
maybe they are redefining its meaning. From

https://developer.ubuntu.com/api/apps/qml/sdk-15.04/UbuntuUserInterfaceToolkit.resolution-independence/

"The number of pixels per grid unit is chosen in order to preserve the
perceived visual size of UI elements and therefore depends on the
density of the display and the distance the user is to the screen."

So, the size of a GU should not change, whether I have a 10" or a 20"
tablet!

Now, suppose that I have a huge 16:9 tablet with a 20" diagonal. From
the blog post, I understand that either the UI elements will be huge,
defeating the point of having a big tablet and contradicting the whole
idea of what a GU is.

Or did I misunderstand something?

Ciao,
  Alberto