Re: Grid system's question

Am Donnerstag, den 18.06.2015, 12:17 +0100 schrieb Andrea Cimitan:

> On 18/06/15 12:10, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Donnerstag, den 18.06.2015, 13:56 +0300 schrieb Alberto Mardegan:
> >
> >> Now, suppose that I have a huge 16:9 tablet with a 20" diagonal. From
> >> the blog post, I understand that either the UI elements will be huge,
> >> defeating the point of having a big tablet and contradicting the whole
> >> idea of what a GU is.
> >>
> >> Or did I misunderstand something?
> > no, that is exactly what happens currently ... like i said in my other
> > post, it is like running a 800x600 resolution on a 14" HD panel ...
> >
> > in our case you wont see the pixels though (like you would with the
> > above), since you actually run at the high resolution on Mir level, but
> > you scale up the UI to a point where you lose all benefit of having that
> > resolution with gigantic icons and fonts.
> >
> > ciao
> > 	oli
> >

> In the case of meizu, it will switch from 40 to 50gu layout once we have
> designs for it... so icons will be smaller :)

as i said, in the case of phones we can actually compute the right value
in advance since we have both values (physical size and density) ... we
cant do that on devices we provide generic images for like laptops if we
dont offer an image per model ... which means we need to fall back to a
common denominator which most likely wont be a "fit all" thing.

but since changing the grid units is a two line hack you can do in your
home dir to set via a variable in the upstart session i expect we will
have a "unity8 tweak tool" from the community in no time that will make
all these restrictions pointless anyway ...

ciao
	oli