Re: What moving to GCC5 means for the phone and app developers

On 07/31/2015 12:22 PM, Oliver Ries wrote:
> we won't let that happen, I think we owe it specifically to our early
> supporters to provide them with continued support over a reasonable HW
> life time.

Continued hardware support is a great thing, but here (unless I've
misunderstood how the store works) we are saying that once this period
is over, it will just be impossible to install some apps to the device.

Suppose that in 3 years time (which is what I would consider a
reasoanble period for continued hardware support) we stop publishing
updates for the BQ phone, and that soon after that the sdk framework
19.04 gets released, and it's so cool that most app developers decide to
start using it. Suppose that the calendar app is among one of those
which use the new framework.
This basically means that if I set my device to factory settings and
give it as a present to some friend, this unfortunate friend of mine
will simply be unable to install the calendar app to his phone, because
the store only carries the one built for the 19.04 framework.

Summing up: one thing is to say "we won't continue delivering updates to
your phone after X years", another is "you won't be able to install any
app (even those which you previously had) after X years".

I don't think that's acceptable...

Ciao,
  Alberto