Re: What moving to GCC5 means for the phone and app developers

On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 12:36 +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> On 07/31/2015 12:22 PM, Oliver Ries wrote:
> > we won't let that happen, I think we owe it specifically to our early
> > supporters to provide them with continued support over a reasonable HW
> > life time.

Note, you said you won't let that happen that there will be no new
upgrades, and in the same sentence said that you will provide support
for a reasonable life time. Which means, unless your meaning of
reasonable life time is exactly the same as everybody's, you WILL let
that happen.

I would consider 5 years to be reasonable. I've used Ubuntu on my phone
for 2.5 years already, and I'm not seeing any need to upgrade for
atleast another couple of years.

Also, when I'm done with the phone, that doesn't mean I won't give/sell
it to someone who is looking for a cheap secondhand phone, so it could
then be used by another person for another 2-5 years. At this point, my
reasonable lifetime has extended to 7-10 years. I don't expect Canonical
to support new features after the first 5 years, but I'd expect the
phone to still be useable by the next user, if a little out-of-date.