Re: HERE maps

El día Monday, August 03, 2015 a las 06:11:00PM +0200, Oliver Grawert escribió:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 03.08.2015, 17:43 +0200 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> > El lunes, 3 de agosto de 2015 17:29:22 (CEST), Oliver Grawert escribió:
> > > hi,
> > > l.
> > >
> > > so you prefer to wait 20min for a GPS fix instead ?

> > I just run a test:
> >
> > - enabled GPS
> > - started the app SensorStatus
> > - got a fix in 70 secs (and I am sitting below a big sunumbrella)
> > - started OSMTouch which shows my location
> >
> > more I do not need
> >

> hmm, if i use the ubuntu-touch/rc-proposed/ubuntu channel which
> explicitly omits all nonfree bits that arent actually needed to boot
> (like AGPS blobs) my device takes actually the mentioned 15-20min ... if
> you had a fix before this will indeed be faster since it gets cached.
> just talking about the first fix when you get out of your house ...

It was a cold start, because I rebooted the BQ today and switched on the
GPS for the test above (I seldom have it switched on). I run the same
test right now again below free sky, and the SensorStatus app got the
fix with TTFF 20 secs. Btw: This is the time I was used to have with my
Openmoko Freerunner too: 20-60 secs TTFF (without any AGPS support).

I have to mention another thing: I can nearly never get a fix with
OSMTouch alone. I have always to use SensorStatus and then terminate
SensorStatus and start OSMTouch. May be there is an issue with OSMTouch.

Could you test it with SensorStatus to compare?

> (i actually wonder if there is a bug with the disabling of HERE in your
> case)

I don't think so, because in addition I have deinstalled the HERE app
because I don't trust it. If you now say that even in this case, after
deinstalling an app, it is able to run, then we have a bigger issue.

One thing more: I was wrong saying 'more I do not need' re/ GPS; I need
an app which is able to present pre-fetched tiles from OSM server, like
foxtrotGPS can do. OSMScout does something in this direction but the
quality of the maps material does not match what pre-fetched tiles give
you (see the other thread in our list about this issue).

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@xxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045