Re: Preparing for larger images

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 09:24:46AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2015, at 07:17 AM, Thomas A. Moulton wrote:

> >From watching the various updates my Tablet (flo) has received, aren't
> >the OTA updates deltas? If so, then would it be expected to have >500MB
> >of changes between updates often? In the most recent update I think I
> >saw about 148MB downloaded.

> That does speak to a few other possible options.  system-image-cli (although
> not really the D-Bus API) supports a --filter flag that can be set to full or
> delta, to force one or the other choices in candidate path upgrades.  You
> could force a full upgrade which was less than the highest, where the
> subsequent deltas would contain only libreoffice.  That might make the
> individual downloads fit within the partition size, at the cost of a two-step
> upgrade.

The design of this system should not rely on the delta being substantially
smaller than a full upgrade at all points.  When the stable channel gets
bumped from vivid vervet to xanthic xenomorph, for example, you may have a
delta that's smaller than the full update - but maybe it's smaller by only
5-10%.  The upgrade path needs to be robust against such a scenario.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx