Re: Fixing Volume Controls

hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2015, 12:21 +0200 schrieb Michael Zanetti:

> On 30.09.2015 12:01, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi
> > Am Dienstag, den 29.09.2015, 18:07 +0100 schrieb Matthew Paul Thomas:
> >>
> >> As far as I know, nothing is preventing developers from putting a
> >> role-specific slider in their apps. But that doesn't/wouldn't fix any
> >> of the problems where the volume buttons don't do what you expect.
> >>
> > quoting you from bug 1389761:
> >
> > We'll add a "system volume slider" as a standard toolkit widget that any
> > app can use. This slider will do three special things:
> > (b) automatically reflect, and adjust, the system volume for the active
> > output role, without the app having to do anything at all;
> >
> > did i misunderstand you in that bug ? to me it reads like we will have a
> > volume slider element in the toolkit that isn't modifyable for the
> > role ...  (instead of having one that defaults to the active role but
> > allows a dev to override it with a "role: " property)
> >

> IMHO, apps should not be able to change the system volume... They might
> have a slider inside which then adjusts their own sounds relative to the
> current system value, but in no way an app should be able to change
> another app's volume.

hmm, i find "relative to the system volume" problematic since it will
only work at the one point in time where you actually adjust it in the
app ...

i.e. your system volume for a specific role is 50% ... your app sets the
volume to 20% of these 50% ... now you turn down the system volume to
30% and miss the in-app notification sound because 20% of the 30% are
way to low ... (along with that problem, it might also be super
confusing for the user)

what i'm trying to say is that *if* we provide a volume slider element
in the toolkit, the role should be selectable by the developer, else
that slider is rather useless IMHO (especially if it jumps back and
forth between the active roles like it does today).

ciao
	oli