Re: Defining the form factor of an Ubuntu Touch device

W dniu 08.10.2015 o 14:00, Simon Fels pisze:
> A tablet stays a tablet. Having a modem included doesn't make it a
> phone. The Bluetooth device class is meant to stay static for one device
> forever. No dynamic changes. It is your first point to find out what
> kind of Bluetooth device you've found.
>
> Btw. that a tablet includes a GSM modem still doesn't say anything about
> if it also allows you to do voice calls ... If we have a "phablet"
> device then this needs to be categorized as a phone as it provides voice
> call capabilities. See
> https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/specification/assigned-numbers/baseband
> for some more details on the major and minor device classes we're
> talking about here. Putting the device into the right major/minor class
> is crucial as some car kits doesn't allow you to pair them only with
> devices part of the phone device class...
>
> Also what would be the benefit of having an option for the user to
> override this?

I think you just wrote what would be the benefit - some car kits only
connect to phone devices. What if I wanted my 3G tablet (no voice, but
VoIP still works!) to connect to the car?

I'm not saying this should be an option in the UI, but I see no reason
to go to special lengths to disallow the user overriding it.
--
Michał Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Ltd.