Re: Defining the form factor of an Ubuntu Touch device

On 08.10.2015 14:30, Michał Sawicz wrote:
W dniu 08.10.2015 o 14:00, Simon Fels pisze:
A tablet stays a tablet. Having a modem included doesn't make it a
phone. The Bluetooth device class is meant to stay static for one device
forever. No dynamic changes. It is your first point to find out what
kind of Bluetooth device you've found.

Btw. that a tablet includes a GSM modem still doesn't say anything about
if it also allows you to do voice calls ... If we have a "phablet"
device then this needs to be categorized as a phone as it provides voice
call capabilities. See
https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/specification/assigned-numbers/baseband
for some more details on the major and minor device classes we're
talking about here. Putting the device into the right major/minor class
is crucial as some car kits doesn't allow you to pair them only with
devices part of the phone device class...

Also what would be the benefit of having an option for the user to
override this?

I think you just wrote what would be the benefit - some car kits only
connect to phone devices. What if I wanted my 3G tablet (no voice, but
VoIP still works!) to connect to the car?

That would a use case, yes, but still really a workaround for a corner case.

However that wouldn't work with our implementation playing the role of the audio gateway strictly requires a modem with voice call capabilities.. no way to inject your VoIP stack here. It also hardly depends on how the hardware is build. For HFP on most Android devices the audio is directly routed from the microphone to the BT chip without involving the CPU so we can gurantee you're even able to inject your VoIP audio data.

regards,
Simon