Re: Ubuntu Touch and Smart Watches

On 26.12.2015 22:28, Gareth France wrote:
On 26/12/15 00:17, Michael Zanetti wrote:
And will it work with my generic
>watch?
No.

>If not is there anything that can be done to encourage two way
>communication between the watch and phone?
I would require writing something like Rockwork, suited for your watch
model, probably something AndroidWear compatible.
Why oh why don't people design these things to some sort of standard? So
if this is the case is this the sort of device we are likely to see near
universal support emerging for in the future? I mean I'm used to just
being able to buy any device and have it work automatically without any
effort (touchscreen, printer, webcam, soundcard etc). Or is there some
major challenge to auto identifying smart watches and dealing with them?

There is a standard which Android Wear uses: Bluetooth Smart (aka Bluetooth Low Energy). On top of that there are certain profiles specified (see [1]) which all use GATT as base and give you all the features you want. Its pebble who did something different here as it sounds to me (never really looked into this).

Support for BLE will land with ota9 and from what I've heard we will also make it available through our Qt APIs we expose in the SDK.

regards,
Simon

[1]: https://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/Pages/GATT-Specification-Documents.aspx