Re: Ubuntu Touch and Smart Watches

On 27.12.2015 10:41, Simon Fels wrote:
>>> No.

>>> I would require writing something like Rockwork, suited for your watch
>>> model, probably something AndroidWear compatible.
>> Why oh why don't people design these things to some sort of standard? So
>> if this is the case is this the sort of device we are likely to see near
>> universal support emerging for in the future? I mean I'm used to just
>> being able to buy any device and have it work automatically without any
>> effort (touchscreen, printer, webcam, soundcard etc). Or is there some
>> major challenge to auto identifying smart watches and dealing with them?
>
> There is a standard which Android Wear uses: Bluetooth Smart (aka
> Bluetooth Low Energy). On top of that there are certain profiles
> specified (see [1]) which all use GATT as base and give you all the
> features you want. Its pebble who did something different here as it
> sounds to me (never really looked into this).

I would be really surprised if AndroidWear would only use Profiles
specced by the Bluetooth SIG. AFAICS there is not too much except the
notification and heart rate stuff in the standard. All the goodies like
watchapp/watchface management and even things like step counter, sleep
monitors etc are not part of the Bluetooth spec and so it has to be
something custom or at least something not standardized yet.

I agree Pebble could've at least used AVRCP for music playback control.
But apart from that, not too much useful stuff in the GATT spec (yet).