Re: Find out if running on a phone

On 12/01/16 06:57, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
We can't stop developers from writing crappy software.  What we can do is not aid and abet them.

We need APIs for feature detection.  Apps need feature detection.  Apps don't need "system mode" detection.  We don't
want apps to have "system mode" detection because we don't want to have a "system mode."

We shouldn't second guess what app developers may or may not want to do with any API. We can provide an API done correctly that does what they need to do, or we can have crappy phablet/desktop detection in apps that make the platform look bad and difficult to develop for.

I have presented a few use cases that support having such an API.

Mostly I am thinking of games and trying to leave an open book for them to be creative about convergence.