Re: Find out if running on a phone

On 12/01/2016 15:36, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
You can't just make some on-screen elements bigger for touchability
and assume that there will be no tradeoff. Other elements will get
smaller, and that has a cost. If someone has no touchscreen, or has
one but doesn't want to use it, it's a cost with no benefit.

+1

Of course the best thing would be a UI usable with touch and mouse with very little compromises, but that might not possible in many situations.

I think it's a mistake to make mouse interaction a second-class citizen (like Windows 8). I *very* rarely use the touchscreen of my laptop for instance (remember gorilla-arm effect?).

In the end the user should have the last word. GMail for instance has many different display density/mode settings, including a "touch enabled" one. I have it in the most compact mode (bad for touching) even though my laptop has a touchscreen.

- Daniel