Re: How add custom item to system indicator (network)

> Not possible, and I don't think it's planned to allow that currently. It
> is also quite an esoteric use case for the general user, and you can

The question actually was: Is it possible in general to add a menu
item to an indicator menu? And, of course it is (sort of). I could
send a notification the the system notification indicator from an app.
But general hooks into any indicator are neither available nor
planned? Something like the mail notifications integrated in Ubuntu's
messages indicator (on the current desktop version).

> you could have an app doing that, similar to what WifiTranfer [1] app does.

While WifiTransfer is a very nice app unfortunately it's of limited
use (read: a pain to use) due to its confined nature. Enabling general
SSH/SFTP access is much more intuitive, and less esoteric. What a
user, and developers like me are also general users, may want is
access to all their files in the user home directory (or, for heaven's
sake, at least to the main data folders, Documents, Downloads, Music,
Pictures, Videos). And since with "general access" the (whole) system
is affected, and more risk is involved than in a confined situation,
depicting the situation as a "system status" in the indicators' tray
is probably advisable. That's the motivation behind it.

If not the Network indicator then the Transfer indicator may be an
appropriate place for this. App-wise this feature could fit into the
context of the File Manager app, yet still it may be not totally
intuitive, because the traffic (file transfer) comes "from the other
direction". Anyway, I've added a feature request there, also because
there is no bug tracker configured in the Transfer indicator project.

Anyone who cares about a simple yet full-featured way of doing
(manual) file transfers can vote for this bug using the link "This bug
affects you" on top of the page:
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-filemanager-app/+bug/1544987

Peter