Re: small suggestions for uNav

On 2016-04-10 05:03 , Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Saturday, April 09, 2016 a las 08:45:08PM +0000, Nekhelesh Ramananthan escribió:
>
>>> 1) While moving the app wrote a red line of the movement over the map,
>>> nice to see where one have already been when lost and walking to find
>>> some place :-)
>>>

>> This seems like a nice idea. Can you report a bug on launchpad so that we
>> can track this request. In the future, please considering reporting bugs in
>> launchpad rather than in mailing list as they tend to get lost.
> I will do it in LP in any case. With that mail I only wanted to get
> feedback before.

On my N900 I used mappero, which called this feature "track".  It was
nice enough, but what made it really useful was combining it with .gpx
support.  Once you've got a track you're happy with, save it to a .gpx
file*.  Then you can load and view your own or other people's tracks.
The .gpx tracks are useful for other things, for example adding routes
to OpenStreetMap.  If you're going to add tracking, it would make a lot
of sense to add .gpx support at the same time, since it's going to share
much of the same code.

What's the Launchpad bug number?  Definitely gets a +1 from me.

Oh, and I'm enjoying reading about your maptile problems.  I had the
same problem with mappero and started writing a just obscenely
complicated C program to download tiles.  It never worked.  Sounds like
you've got a much more sane solution.  But...

1) uNav really should have its own cache of maptiles.  Then at least you
could just copy your maptiles into uNav's cache rather than running your
own HTTP server.  And...
2) uNav really should provide a "pre-fill maptile cache" functionality.
Even just a dBus API would do, then someone else could write an app with
a pretty UI.

Offline maps is not an obscure feature that only Matthias and I want.
IMO, it's literally a life-or-death necessity.  Everyone has a
smartphone in their pocket.  Everyone should be able to find out where
they are, text their precise coordinates to emergency services, and do
that reliably and quickly while panicking.

* Or share to twitter or synchronise with your cloud or whatever we're
supposed to do these days instead of keeping our data in horribly
unfashionable "files".