Re: M10 graphics performance issue

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Michael Zanetti
<michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So if you are affected by this issue, don't blame the hardware just yet,
> but wait for this fix to reach your device:
> https://requests.ci-train.ubuntu.com/#/ticket/1303

I'm confirming this will fix it nicely, I just tested it. I got the
M10 I bought on Friday and was a bit let down by the graphics
performance, but it seems OTA-11 will fortunately fix it so it's not a
permanent issue. I didn't test OTA-9.5 much at all before upgrading to
OTA-10.

I may blame the hardware though for that the app switcher is still not
silky smooth, more like 20fps instead of 60fps. M10 FullHD has 4 times
the pixels my E4.5, so it's either hardware or there's more
optimization possibilities too in addition to fixing this regression.

The Mali in E4.5 is Mali 400MP2 and on M10 it's Mali T720MP2. Both
with two shader cores, I'd guesstimate based on Wikipedia's numbers
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_%28GPU%29) that the M10 _should_
be able to pull off similar performance to E4.5. The T720 should be
2-10 times faster depending on the type of operation (in theory).

-Timo