Use cell towers for faster location fix

Hi,

Does someone know if there is already software that makes you get a faster location fix using cell tower information? I noticed that a-gps works quite well in the city area but not in the country side. There are already a few open source projects (for android) that do this, but I am wondering if it is or there are plans to integrate this in ubuntu touch. There are open source databases with an api like http://opencellid.org and https://location.services.mozilla.com/. For android there is UnifiedNlp and with a backend: https://github.com/n76/Local-GSM-Backend. Would be great to have something like that for Ubuntu. But I am not sure how difficult it is to integrate this with the location-service dbus. Love to hear your opinions on this.

Greetings,

Mattias

Follow ups