Re: Use cell towers for faster location fix

I thought the HERE maps thing did that?
It really isn't a good idea for the Ubuntu handsets to contribute to any such effort while location services is still so reluctant to allow the GPS chip to turn on and do it's job. Right now my phone thinks I am about half a mile away from where I am, I can request the location as much as I like by refreshing https://www.where-am-i.net/ and location services will fail to do *anything* about it unless I launch something like unav or go to google maps in the browser, something that *subscribes to updates*. If you don't launch a moving dot maps application and wait then it will only ever serve up the coordinates of where you happen to have been some point over the last few days and leaves the GPS turned off. This means that the geotagged information from the camera, location aware websites, lenses that show local stuff and so on, just don't work very well at all. There are bugs filed relating to these issues, and they have been looked at, just not fixed in OTA11.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/location-service/+bug/1551686
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/location-service/+bug/1551683

Alan.