Re: Use cell towers for faster location fix

In my opinion, it's important to use an open database with clear policies.

Then, a different discussion is how to help this database get filled. I'm
not very convinced of the automatic data collection from mobile terminals
due to the following reasons:

1. To have a real impact it will require contributors to keep their GPS
active in order to correlate cell tower information with geographic
coordinates (unless the cell tower location can be queried by the mobile
device, which I don't think is the case - *confirmation needed*).

2. Keeping GPS on goes against the reason why we need the cell tower
information, which is to reduce the dependency on the GPS receiver (which
is power consuming).

2. A lot of contributions from different relative positions will be
required to get a fair estimation of a cell tower's location.

I believe a better impact will be achieved if the open database
representatives/contributors request access to cell tower location
information per-country or per-mobile_operator. Being an open database, it
will be a win-win relationship, because the data could be used for
optimization and planning.

Best Regards,
Felipe.