Re: basename: missing operand

On 06/20/2016 09:25 AM, Benjamin Zeller wrote:
> At least the SDK IDE would always suggest you to create a i386/stable
> emulator as default.

As seen in this blog post
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/06/14/calling-testers-new-ubuntu-sdk-ide-post/
it doesn't suggest one way or the other, it just lets you pick. The post
also mentions that

"for creating click packages for the phone we will need an armhf target"

which I read as I won't be able to do this with the i386 target. Is this
wrong?

> Probably, but they are extremely slow. Its possible that you just did not
> wait long enough.

OK, this time I started the emulator and waited for over an hour for it
to boot. In the first couple of minutes (roughly) it quickly reached the
spot where it gives the "basename: missing operand" error and then for
the next hour, while taking up 100% of a CPU core, stayed there; at
which point I stopped it.

My laptop is Dell XPS 13 9350 which has Skylake i7 and 16GB RAM, most of
which was free during this time. I would think if the emulator were
making progress it would have finished the boot, or at least gotten past
that point in that 1 hour time period.

> Also they can get stuck randomly.

Well, seems like stuck in an infinite loop during boot, at least.

Unless anyone has suggestions, I think I'm giving up for now, and I'm
going to use the phone; and alternatively see how useful the i386
emulator is.

I would, however, suggest updating the wiki -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Emulator - and maybe few other places,
suggesting that arm emulators may not be reliable for now and to use
i386 or the physical devices, in the hopes of avoiding frustration of
newcomers who might not know.

Finally, I am new to all this. So please forgive my ignorance. My intent
is to ask questions, learn, and hopefully give feedback. And I am
grateful for any help I get. Thank you!