Re: An android confession

On 2016-06-29 13:25, Jouni Helminen wrote:
Waze on Android on the otherhand has has a makeover and is looking
fantastic. It knew where I was right away with no delay whatsoever,
plotted the route in a flash and all the things I need to be paying
attention to such as speed cameras are nicely highlighted on screen.
It now even tells you how long a traffic jam is and how far through
it you are. It handles getting disconnected from the internet
seamlessly and all you have to worry about is the driving.

I would be intrigued to know how this free app is funded. I'm a firm
believer though that anything that can be done, can be done better
open source. This certainly sets the bar. Does anyone know if there
are any outstanding gps issues either with touch or with unav itself
right now?

Waze was bought by Google for $1.3 billion. They crowdsource the
traffic data, and it works quite well because they have so many users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze

I had a skeaking suspicion that it would be funded by the stealing of private data. Isn't everything these days?