Re: Why UT is not ready

With no intention to bash the work the developers are doing, I agree that
there are currently some marketing problems with Ubuntu Touch devices that
are sold to end users.

I bought a bq M10 fully expecting it to not be as polished as an Android
device, but thinking it might be useful as a bit of a portable desktop
replacement. I expected something like a Raspberry Pi in desktop mode, with
a semi-functional touch interface to use it as a tablet. Unfortunately I
was wrong.

I also knew that it was a bit of a gamble and I was trying something still
somewhat experimental, and that's ok. I have been a Linux user for almost
20 years and am not afraid of having to figure things out and using the
command line for things that are not yet ready at the UI level.

My problems are two-fold:

First, I paid at least 50€ more for the Ubuntu Edition, waiting several
weeks for it to arrive, than I would have paid for the same tablet with
Android at the store next door. BQ support was unable to tell me whether
the hardware is the same (M10 FHD), and I still don't really know. I would
have gladly bought the Android M10, knowing that it is a supported
reference device for flashing experimental Ubuntu Touch builds on. I'm
still not sure how I feel about paying a lot more (290€ for the obligatory
pack with a case instead of 220€ for the bare tablet) for what is sold as
an end-user device, but really isn't. I have thought many times about
returning it and getting the Android version instead, but haven't done so
because I want to support UT.

Second, and that's the reason I flashed Android on it a few days ago (but
will try UT again in a few weeks) is that I found it to not currently work
for my geeky and not-so-geeky use cases. Last week, at a project meeting, I
needed to ssh into a server to fix things which I would then check through
a web interface. This failed in two ways, and made it very difficult for
me. Each time I switched between the terminal and the web browser, even for
a few seconds, my ssh connection got killed. And each time I switched to
the web browser, the page would reload, killing my session and all the work
I had been doing. The same thing would even happen when only switching tabs.

I tried the same thing on Android and it works perfectly. My ssh sessions
survive for hours, even when putting the tablet to sleep, and browser tabs
obviously do not reload arbitrarily.

I also found the tablet to be severely lacking as a media playing device,
with no VLC or other media players capable of reproducing most of the
videos I tried. On Android I get all the software I need.

For now, installing additional software, even without touch capability, is
also complicated to impossible, even when ARM ports for the RPi exist,
making it a very limited device for tinkerers or "power users" (although
that will hopefully change soon).

As I said, UT is interesting and I will check it regularly, but it should
be an option that people can try and help develop, not something sold at a
premium to end users.

Best,
Jens