Re: [Development] How can I help? + Volume Roles app

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Devid Antonio Filoni <d.filoni@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Devid!

> this is my first message on an Ubuntu mailing list after years so I would
> like to spend few words for my apologies: I was an active Ubuntu
> contributor many years ago (MOTU, SRU, translations...) but due to personal
> matters I was not able to "properly contribute" anymore, I also started to
> work as web developer and my employment was horrible in a such way it
> alienated me from the Internet world (not only Ubuntu). I'm really really
> sorry this stopped me from being here around, I love(d) this community.
> However, last year I got a job in a new company, fixed my internet
> intolerance and so I would like to contribute again as I can! :)

That's great, we'll make sure you find yourself at home! :)

> I bought a secondhand Nexus 4 last month only to help development but I
> liked Ubuntu Phone, so I'm a daily user. First I noticed an issue in the
> microphone [1] and everyone in the bug report was asking for a way to
> adjust microphone volume. Looking for that I found a post in this mailing
> list [2] about volume roles and (also) the fact there is no way to know
> device volume levels.
> I decided to write a simple app to control speakers, mic and roles volume
> levels in order to develop in C++ (like it), learn Qt/QML and find more
> about ubuntu-sdk and phone system. I'm sharing the code I wrote in last two
> weeks, it is almost ready and the app works fine. I won't publish the app
> in the store because I don't know if you'll approve its usage and, as it
> uses DBus services which are not handled by apparmor policy, the app is
> unconfined. I also think this app should be used only by experienced users
> (for example: I still don't understand some roles purpose only by their
> name but my english is not really good as you can notice in this email too,
> so maybe it's just me) and usually they're able to build a source code ;)
> Everyone can fork it, I think it's a good learning project. Please tell
> (you can also insult) me if I did something wrong in the code, any
> suggestion is welcome, sharing is good for humanity knowledge :)
> Code: [3]
> Screens (imgurl album): [4]
> What's missing: app doesn't intercept roles volume change from other apps,
> I don't know which apps change roles volume. I'll try using terminal.

That's a very interesting app, make sure you write a blog post about it!
I'm sure a lot of people would want to read more about how it works in the
backend (me included!)

> Now the real question:
> How can I help Ubuntu Phone development? I would like to focus on
> "backend" stuff such as libhybris, aosp, aethercast (I don't have a WifiTV
> :( ) and so on but I really don't know where to start from, I don't even
> know installed core libraries, actually IMHO wiki is not very
> updated/useful in this (it's app-oriented). Is there any
> important/asked-many-times/low-priority-due-to-resources bug open I can
> work on and involves core-developing? If it is difficult don't worry, I
> like to get my hands dirty on code, if it's really difficult I'll tell you
> I'm not able to work on it but please take a look at my code before
> pointing me to an issue/wishlist, I'm sure I'm not a real C++ developer
> (missing exp) but I'm not sure I'm not a bad C++ developer :D and I don't
> want you to lose your time reviewing bad/useless merge requests, I can help
> in other ways (translations, etc...)

As Julia mentioned, we have a band-aids project that is meant to collect
bite-size bugs that community contributors can use to get started with the
contribution process.

>From what I understand you're already familiar with Launchpad, MRs,
etc...I'm sure there are plenty of things you could help us with! :)

I'd also try asking on #ubuntu-touch IRC channel (FreeNode server).

Thank you!
> Devid

Thank you! It's great to have you back! :)

Andrea (faenil)