Re: Canonical branded phone?

No plans to sell the MX5 Pro, thanks :-)

Having a good reference device for developers to rally around is certainly
essential.

That was a killer for Tizen for a long, long time.   Samsung released the
RD-PQ (~Galaxy S3 spec) in 2013, and that was the only viable platform for
development work for about 3 years, even when it was chronically old in the
tooth.    And you were incredibly lucky if you could get hold of one.    If
developers cannot easily buy a reference device and build an application
then you won't get any applications.

For a mobile OS to succeed you certainly need a very low barrier to entry
for developers to participate.   The fact that even the small group of
people who are keenly interested in Ubuntu Touch are having difficulty
buying the few retail devices which are available is very much not a good
thing.

Beyond ease of access for developers, though, to actually get a decent
application ecosystem, you actually need some end-users.    Not "maybe
there will be users in the future", but there actually being real users
before they build the apps.

That has been the achilles heel for mobile Linux, IMHO.   How to get over
that app gap.   The network effect for Android and iOS is almost impossible
to overcome.   Even Microsoft failed.   That is where I think Jolla did
fantastically well with AlienHybris.    Having the ability to run Android
apps is absolutely killer.

>> Jo-Erend >>Why would it be necessary for Canonical to make a new phone
when they
>> can just ask Meizu and Bq to provide a new batch?

Because Canonical might be able to kindly request that, but I suspect that
BQ and Meizu would kindly decline the request.   If they want to make them,
they would be making them.   The fact that they are withdrew them from sale
tells you everything you need to know.

Hoping for a second wave of devices to appear at some future point where UT
is sufficiently "done", is likely, I am afraid to say, just hoping for a
miracle.    Build it and they will come?   That just hasn't been my
experience of the way the world works ...

So am I pessimistic?   Yes, I am afraid I am.    I would love UT to
succeed.   After all of my disappointments with Tizen and Samsung, it
looked to me like the best option for a mobile Linux to succeed, but the
winds are not blowing in a good direction.