Re: What's the plan for Ubuntu Phone in 2017?

My hope and expectation for 2017, is that we'll see Ubuntu for phones being
moved to Ubuntu Core and that the desktop gets sufficiently useful that
Ubuntu Touch can be renamed Ubuntu Personal. I think that's a really good
name and I hope they start using it for phones and tablets by the end of
next year, maybe also providing Ubuntu Personal for desktops for those who
want a Snap-only PC.

I can't see any reason whatsoever why Canonical would want to pull away
from phones. It might not be a great source of income in the near future,
but it also shouldn't be particularly expensive to keep going, considering
it primarily consists of components that are required in other parts of
Ubuntu anyway. If it was a phone-only OS, then people would've had good
cause for concern. But I'm completely confident that it'll go on as a
healthy, niche project for people who wants something different.