Re: What's the plan for Ubuntu Phone in 2017?

Hi to all.

In line with Peter, it would be extremely encouraging to heard some comment
from Ubuntu giving us visibility of the coming mimesstones.

If there is some secretism due to bussines protection, just some positive
message saying 'no worry, all under control' would be enough...

It feels to me as if the project were stuck. Eventogh I hope is well
progressing in the background.

Good Christmas holidyas to everybody!

Regards.
Marcos

El sábado, 24 de diciembre de 2016, Peter Bittner <peter.bittner@xxxxxxx>
escribió:
> [...]
> there were "convergence" in the sense of "my browser shares its
> settings, bookmarks, passwords, ... with my desktop" and an easy,
> built-in way of setting up file synchronization with my desktop
> machine that would be something to help me feel being helped in
> getting my business done.
>
> Now I have an ugly, pretty slow Android system on my bq Anquaris E5
> that does all the things that help me feel connected (I need to use
> Slack, not Telegram, I have to use that horribly distracting WhatsApp
> even though I hate it as hell, and it's friggin' helpful to use a
> working video telephony on my phone, damn!, with whatever platform -
> Hangouts, Viber, Skype, Slack, you name it). The Android UI is
> horrible, ugly, and quite slow. And apps are crap, many of them
> bloated with ads. It makes my bq feel more a "plastic device" than it
> was with Ubuntu. I really really do NOT want Ubuntu to be such a
> platform, with a shedload of apps you constantly have to switch from
> and to, back and forth. Apps are stupid, get over it.
>
> I'm checking regularly on the Ubuntu Phone mailing list if there is
> some progress that makes me confident to make the switch back, but
> nothing. Not even a new phone on the horizon, no vision any more, all
> faded away. Just advertising for "please repackage your webapps with
> Snappy". Oh great, I feel so empowered (yawn). Canonical really makes
> me sad.
>
> Peter

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would say that the currently expected way to achieve this is by
>> implementing telepathy plugins, and may be in the future the platform
could
>> be opened to be user configurable with respect of which plugins it uses
for
>> different types of communication (text, voice, video). Of course this
allows
>> for multiple alternatives for each communication type, setting priorities
>> and so on.
>>
>> Right now, the standard telephony voice data flows through the ofono
plugin
>> of telepathy.

>> Hi
>>
>> All the narrative surrounding convergence has been about one code for all
>> devices: so developments in one area supposedly improves the experience
in
>> all areas. I realize that convergence hasn't quite happened yet, and
that so
>> far, seemingly Touch has been doing its own thing, but surely,
>> tantalizingly, we're on the cusp of it with core and snaps: i.e. there's
>> going to be a new protocol for the phone (desktop etc) soon. But more
than
>> that: so long as Canonical continue with convergence, the phone (and
>> everything else) will always be part of it.
>>
>> i.m.o. Bryan Lunduke is an agent provocoteur: all he wanted last
Christmas
>> was a truly Linux tablet, which he thought he'd never see. Well, that
>> arrived literally a few weeks after his post in the form of the M10. :/
>>
>> f.w.i.w My predictions for Ubuntu phone in 2016: Core and Snaps. New
devices
>> from OEMs. Perhaps a more easily portable system. And maybe other
flavours
>> of UT.

>> On 15/12/16 12:38, advocatux wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ubuntu Developers & Supporters, first of all thank you for your
work.
>> Also Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.
>>
>> I do think this is the perfect time to talk about Ubuntu Phone (UP) and
its
>> next future.
>>
>> Mark Suttleworth said in May UP is not in the main focus, and that his
daily
>> phone is not UP [0], but I don't interpreted it as far as Bryan Lunduke
>> (Social Media Marketing Manager of SUSE) does, when talking about his
2016
>> predictions [1]:
>>
>> "(Prediction for 2016) Canonical will pull away from phones.
>>
>> Canonical/Ubuntu pulling away from the phone market? This is a hard one
>> measure.
>>
>> Wait. No, it’s not.
>>
>> The last press release from Canonical that was phone-related was back in
>> April. And the main press page for Canonical doesn’t list a single thing
>> about phones. The last several announcements from Canonical have been
very
>> enterprise-centric. Even in the lead up to the holiday shopping season,
not
>> a peep about phones.
>>
>> Nailed it. Canonical pulled away from phones during 2016 in order to
focus
>> on enterprise functionality."
>>

>> Personally, I simply do think is just a question of time, and I have
great
>> faith in the UP project.
>>
>> So Dear Devs, what's the plan for 2017? How can we help to speed up
Ubuntu
>> Phone development? What can we do to get UP to play in the "First
Division"?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/05/mark-shuttle-worth-talks-ubuntu-phone-snappy

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3145664/linux/2016-linux-predictions-which-ones-came-true.html