Re: Introducing Canonical's Ubuntu Crickets

Wrong. Some phones like e4.5 are already unavailable even with Android. If things go this way, we will not be able to buy a phone where You can install Ubuntu. I think Nexus 4 is also a good example: You hardly find a new device and if You do, it will not be an official source. There should be an official set of compatible brand new phones that You can reinstall with a new system. I can't imagine You'd buy today as old phone as a new Nexus 4 for 400 euro (official sources), would You?

Cheers

Marcin

      From: Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxxx>
 To: Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:06 AM
 Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Introducing Canonical's Ubuntu Crickets

Hi Jo-Erlend,

Can you point, please, to one or two stores selling Ubuntu phones. Thanks

A laptop becomes an Ubuntu laptop once Ubuntu is installed on it. A phone becomes an Ubuntu phone once Ubuntu is installed on it. The phones that were sold with Ubuntu pre-installed are still sold. Yes, you need to download and install Ubuntu, but that's no different than people installing Ubuntu on their desktops and laptops, which is what nearly everyone is doing and always have. The only significant difference is that the phone is officially supported, which your laptop probably isn't.