ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu tablet

If you read the reviews or look on Youtube the Archos G9 has major quality
problems- digitiser issues, case flex, etc. It's not a quality item.
armel/armhf are compiler architectures, not connected to the hardware
architecture which is Cortex A9. If the RAM is 512MB then I can definitely
predict problems with running more than a couple of tabs in a browser.
So at the moment, nothing suitable seems to be on the market. The only
other candidate would be the HP Touchpad but that's a dead duck, after the
geniuses at HP reduced their $1.5bn to zero within a year.
If Canonical are talking to hardware makers about a preloaded tablet (which
they should, because Unity would be a nice interface to use) then they are
not saying who, what or when. They seem more focused on Ubuntu-TV, but even
that may never see the light of day. I don't know how commercially focused
they are, which is a shame after all the money Mark Shuttleworth has poured
into the project- he deserves something back.
Having initially hated Unity, I use it on my laptop and AC100- it is
developing fast and is becoming nice to use.

Anyone want to start a company making an Ubuntu tablet? I am only half
joking here, since nobody else seems to be able to.

Chris