Upcoming UI Toolkit Panel/Toolbar API changes

Hello,

I would like to make you aware of some upcoming changes to the API and
behavior of the Panel and Toolbar in the Ubuntu UI Toolkit, related to
opening and closing the panel/toolbar.

First, I like to point out that for applications using MainView with Pages
(the recommended app structure), that opening and closing of the toolbar is
handled by the UITK. The current behavior (hidden by default, swipe in by
user to show it) is not ideal, but we are working together with design to
improve the default behavior. Apps that still need to override this
behavior are recommended to set the Page.tools.opened property of the
currently active page to force the toolbar to open/close. Apps that follow
these recommendations are not affected by the changes below.

These changes were made recently in the UITK:
* ADDED IN Panel: function open()
* ADDED IN Panel: function closed()
* DEPRECATED IN Panel: writable property opened. Will be made read-only.

So, if your app (such as the webbrowser) uses the Panel directly, please
replace setting of Panel.opened by calling the open() or close() function.
This change is required for changes in upcoming MRs that will improve the
behavior of the toolbar.

Also please check your app's autopilot tests for assumptions on whether the
toolbar/panel is opened/closed by default and how it responds
(opens/closes) to user interaction, because this behavior will be changed
and then the tests will break. I will also check the apps autopilot tests
myself, but if you do have tests that assume certain behavior and you do
not know how to get rid of these assumptions please contact me and we will
ensure the tests do not break when the toolbar behavior is updated.

Greets,
Tim. (timp on irc)

Follow ups