Re: Kubuntu reaching out to KDE l10n

A Diumenge 05 Juliol 2009 19:17:22, Harald Sitter va escriure:
> Shalom my dearest KDE l10n contributors and Ubuntu translation coordinators
> :)
>
> It's been some time since I started whining about how horribly the
> Kubuntu l10n is degraded compared to KDE's. Time that didn't pass
> unused. We are currently in the process of improving the reflection of
> KDE l10n changes (.pot movement/removal/..) to Launchpad (Rosetta),
> thus decreasing the probability of missing or outdated templates.
> Within the last few months Rosetta as well as the whole Ubuntu
> translation process got tremendous improvements which should also help
> prevent unexpected issues from appearing (at all).

Hope it's the last thing you should loss, right?

> === KDE Liaison ===
> One of the most important changes is probably the introduction of the
> Ubuntu Translation Coordinator team, who's members are responsible for
> management of translation templates (.pot). Even though this helps a
> lot, since now the Kubuntu developers have someone to blame when
> something goes wrong ;-), they are currently lacking a member who is
> experienced with KDE's l10n process and the inner workings of KDE in
> general.
>
> So I am asking you: Is someone willing to at least become KDE liaison
> for the Ubuntu Translation Coordinator team? You'd be their primary
> contact for anything KDE related, so being experienced is certainly
> helpful (otherwise you should at least know whom to ask :)).
> A lot of the problems Kubuntu experienced in the past appeared because
> the bigger part of the Ubuntu translation team doesn't exactly know
> all that much about KDE l10n, and I have been told KDE handles some
> stuff quite differently, so having someone to help the Ubuntu
> Translation Coordinator to stay on top of things would help a lot.

Can't the ubuntu translation coordinator just write to this list as everybody
else does?

> === Kubuntu Translations Day ===
> David Planella, from the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators, suggested to
> do a Kubuntu Tutorials Day:
>
> It would be good to have some people from KDE around, because then we
> could help people upstream translation changes from Launchpad to KDE
> and raise general awareness of upstreaming changes. Are you interested
> in this? If so, is the date ok?

If people wants to translate KDE let's them translate KDE, no idea why we need
Launchpad for.

> We, at Kubuntu, really hope that the ongoing changes enable us to
> deploy Kubuntu with the kick-arse l10n quality from KDE, in future
> releases. No matter what your point of view on Rosetta is, bad l10n in
> Kubuntu reflects badly on KDE, especially because Ubuntu is the
> closest alternative Linux choice.

We agree here your  track is quite bad, let's hope it improves with this Nth
attempt.

Albert