Re: Natty language pack schedule

Hello all,

Jeroen Vermeulen [2010-10-26 13:29 +0700]:
> All this makes me wonder if delta language packs still make sense.
> I don't think the code that produces them "knows" about message
> sharing, so there may be tons of changes that don't make it out to
> the users until the next full language pack.

I don't quite get what you mean here, but indeed I noticed that update
tarballs get huge very quickly. Obviously we don't get half of our
strings changed or added within a week after doing a base pack, so I
wonder whether the po files contain some noise (like date stamps)
which make the delta tarballs explode.

I still think there's value in the delta langpacks, since it's (if it
works) a lot less to build, upload, and download for users. So if we
could fix those to be as small as they used to, I'd certainly prefer
that.

If the delta exports are hard to fix for some reason, then we could
just always do full exports and full -base langpack builds indeed.

> Arne was thinking of letting users get them straight from Launchpad.

This comes with a lot of drawbacks, though. We'd basically need to
reinvent mirrors (we can't possibly allow 12 million users to directly
download from launchpad), distribution channels (archives), and
install systems (dpkg/apt), and in the end we would have pretty much
the same system as we already have today. Also, we need to have some
QA stage in between.

Martin