Re: Kicking off the translations calls

Hi translations coordinators,

Thank you all for your feedback. From the input both on e-mail and IRC,
I've scheduled a call with all of you who said who could participate [1].

It will be:

* Biweekly
* Thursdays 17:00 UTC
* Using G+ Hangouts
* Agenda on: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Meetings/Next
* Notes on: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Meetings

I'll try to answer to your questions and suggestions from your feedback:

El 22/11/11 17:01, En/na Kenneth Nielsen ha escrit:
> Biweekly sounds good for me.  I think 1200 i ambitious since that means
> that we will have to align it with lunch breaks across time zones. 1600
> UTC i late enough that I might just be done with work in UTC+1. Might I
> suggest rotating the days, as that will bring a better chance that
> everyone can participate sometime.

While I like rotation as a concept, I think rotating the days might make
it a bit more difficult in terms of overhead in finding the best slot
every time. I'd suggest perhaps rotating the time of the day, but
sticking to the same day.

The reason why I proposed 12:00 UTC was to cater for those of us (such
as Aron) who are not on European timezones.

> In any case I can't this Thursday. Preparing for PhD defense on Monday,
> after that I'll be more flexible.

Good luck with the PhD defense, I hope it goes well! :-)

Al 22/11/11 19:17, En/na Andrej Znidarsic ha escrit:
> I think it's a smart move to use the wiki for notes. (have added my
> suggestions).
>
> As far as time is concerned I am pretty unpredictable these days, but
> i would prefer 16.00 UTC, 17:00 or 18:00 UTC would be even nicer for
> me.
>
> Also i was wondering about the meeting venue. Is it going to be Skype
or IRC?

> IRC is less effient but on the other hand it's traceable (public
> archive) and is less exclusive - therefore it might be easier to get
> new members.

I understand the concern, but to be clear, the idea of the calls was not
to be exclusive. The intention has always been to have more direct and
agile communication with the translations leaders in the global
community who are interested/can participate in them. From experience, I
felt voice calls worked better than IRC, but that does not mean I
discard IRC.

And the goal is to work together as a team to ensure that we are more
effective in maintaining a sustainable translation community now that I
dedicate less time to translations. While I'll be staying, I'd also like
to eventually make no one essential, but rather have a team where every
member can step up in coordinating the different areas of the
translations machinery and ensure Ubuntu Translations rock.

I contacted you guys directly as you are leaders not only in your local
teams, but also in the global community, and you're the best persons
suited for the goal. I prefer starting with a tight core of members who
not only are knowledgeable and genuinely interested in Ubuntu
Translations, but also between whom there is fluid communication. But
that does not mean we cannot open the calls to anyone else interested in
contributing to, again, making translations rock

Google Hangouts might help us here, as they are public. I'd suggest
having the call as usual today, and then decide if we want to widely
announce it for the next one.

In terms of public archive, as Kenneth was saying, I think having
meeting summary notes should help there too.

El 23/11/11 00:35, En/na Gabor Kelemen ha escrit:
> If we want this (do we?), then maybe we (I mean David :P) could
> organize such events too,

Happy to do so :-), but one of the reasons for these calls, and also one
of the reasons for the Leadership Summit at UDS is to help any community
member to feel empowered to organize events and "do stuff".

What I'm trying to say is that I'm happy to organize things (and will
continue to do so! :), but if anyone wants to take initiative, they
should feel they don't need to (but can, of course) ask and just go for
it and do it.

> where the wider community can try to
> participate in our activities: put up topics/problems we are
> neglecting, offer some free time to help out with gruntwork like
> priorities, upstream sharing, bug triaging/filing/searching. So it
> would not be exactly the same thing as the calls, but complement them.
> Does this make sense? What if we have calls on one week and this IRC
> meeting the next?

That is a good idea. We could even have 30 min IRC and 30 min call.

I've added it to the agenda.

Cheers,
David.

[1]
https://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/canonical.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NzZudWJrMTByNHVlYjM4cjFyZnJnazY1Y29fMjAxMTExMjRUMTcwMDAwWiBkYXZpZC5wbGFuZWxsYUBjYW5vbmljYWwuY29t&tmsrc=david.planella%40canonical.com

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator