Re: On translation sharing between ubuntu-docs and upstream gnome-user-docs

Al 23/11/11 20:24, En/na Gabor Kelemen ha escrit:
> Hi
>
> Someone just showed this link on #ubuntu-devel:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/104550365344856778857/posts/ELAYPthqToL#104550365344856778857/posts/ELAYPthqToL
>

> He was told to go to dpm, but I think this is important enough to not
> wait for that.

I missed this e-mail yesterday, thanks a lot Gabor for the heads up.
I'll reply to him and make it an agenda item for today's translations
meeting.

> What do we do about this?
> I have recently finished translating both docs, and about two thirds of
> the strings were identical, and half of the rest was a fuzzy match (in
> Lokalize, comparing u-d to g-u-d), so there is a lot of space to do
> better at sharing.

We're doing a lot better with importing than we used to do a few years
back, and we've taken steps both in the technical (automatic imports,
sharing) and social (ensuring there is good communication between
upstream and downstream teams) sides to reduce the upstream/downstream
delta.

As you know, and despite these big improvements, we're not quite there
yet in terms of automatic submission of translations back to upstream,
and it might take a while, so we'll need to focus on the things we can
do to work around that.

The Ubuntu docs package is a bit of a special case, as it is my
understanding that the docs team do not sync translations from upstream
on a regular basis, due to the differences in

Matthew, I'm CC'ing you to discuss this publicly but on a small group
first. I don't want to make this incident with Russian translations
bigger than it is for now.

From your point of view, is there anything we could do to reduce the
delta with upstream GNOME docs translations? Anything we could improve
in the workflow of importing the GNOME docs?

Cheers,
David.