Re: Sharing with open permission

Al 23/10/11 20:10, En/na Milo Casagrande ha escrit:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I was looking at our translations stats today and spot the package
> "onboard" that has some untranslated strings. I browse a little bit
> the strings and then headed to the upstream version that is sharing
> translations with out Ubuntu version (Oneiric).
>
> I found out that the upstream permissions are "open", so, anybody can
> leave translations for like any language...
>
> Do we have a policy for that or is there anything in Launchpad that
> can help us prevent this?

Hi Milo,

There is no formal policy. I personally recommend using Structured or
Restricted, assigned to Launchpad Translators, but developers often
simply want to set translations to be open to as many people as
possible. Or to set them as Open in the beginning in the hope to get
more translations and then to Restricted so that they are improved later on.

The truth is, as we know, that plan does never work, and they should rather:

* To get more languages: announce that your project is translatable,
rather than hoping more people will come to it if it's open
* To get more quality: set permissions to Restricted and assign it to a
known group of translators.

Part of the problem is Launchpad setting the default permissions for any
project to Open and developers never bothering changing them.

I had a conversation with Danilo about this quite a long time ago, and I
filed a bug about it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/664410

Without having looked at the code (so take this with a pinch of salt), I
think it would be an easy bug to fix for someone wanting to get involved
into Launchpad development.

There's also an old bug predating that one, on the same subject:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/198305

> If it is not a problem, I will contact the onboard developers and ask
> them to restrict the permissions of their project.

+1 (I think this answers the question on your other e-mail from today as
well)

> Ciao.

Cheers,
David.