Re: Next steps to enable translation imports for universe projects

Hello Andrej,

Andrej Znidarsic [2011-11-25 11:13 +0200]:
> In this cycle we would like to do some work on enabling translation of
> selected universe packages in Launchpad.

Ah, fortunately the groundwork for this is already done:

 * pkgbinarymangler only strips packages and exports translation
   tarballs for packages in main, or for packages which are marked
   with "X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes". That's in oneiric.

 * Launchpad Translations stopped looking at the component of built
   packages and just imports everything we throw at it. That's at
   least what http://pad.lv/788685 says, i. e. the LP task is "Fix
   released".

> Based on the feedback from the translators we decided to initially try
> translating 2 packages:
>
> wine and compizconfig-settings-manager.
>
> We were wondering should the next steps be from technical point of view.

So the only thing you need to do is to add

to debian/control's source record, and everything else should work
automatically.

But as we haven't done this before, we of course need to verify that
it actually works.

> After we will know, how things will be working from a technical level
> we would like to get in touch, present and discuss this idea to
> selected upstream projects before it's fully implemented and discuss
> details about a possibility of not only import from but also export to
> upstream translations.

That sounds great indeed. It has always bothered me a bit that we
create so much diversion for translations.

Thanks!

Martin