ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

Den 29. nov. 2011 03:19, skrev Ian Santopietro:

. If you agree with all this, then you have to agree that the normal desktop Unity should be provided.

No, I don't agree. Unity, yes. Full desktop Unity? No.

Honestly, I don't see the point of discussing this. With what you're suggesting, Ubuntu is already set up to run fine on a TV. This is, quite simply, not the case, else there isn't any reason for this list to exist.

Unless you know something I don't, it is a large screen that has at least 1920x1080 resolution with a PC built into it. There is no technical difference between that and a desktop. And yes, I have used an IGEPv2 like this before. It didn't support HDTV, but since then, the hardware has become many times more powerful. In other words, Ubuntu Desktop should run nicely on it without any kind of changes.

However, if you think I've joined this list to propose that Ubuntu TV does not provide any TV-specific things, you're wrong. What I am saying, is simply that since Ubuntu desktop will have to be used in any case, I would prefer not to exclude all the useful apps in Ubuntu. Obviously, the TV view will be the default. In addition to that, we'll have a desktop view and it's easy to switch between them. Why should that prevent you using it for other things than video? Should it not be allowed to use it to listen to music, for instance? Now, when you're searching for content; why should you not be allowed to connect a keyboard when you already have it in your lap? To make things that much more easier?

Why would you want to prevent these types of things?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad