ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

Den 29. nov. 2011 02:38, skrev Thomas Mashos:
While I agree that having all those features would be pretty neat, we need to make sure we don't over-complicate things for the end-user.

Great, then we agree. My point is based on the fact that we have to provide the desktop in any case. I mean, the system will be Ubuntu. That means having GNU/Linux at the bottom, with apt and all that. Then we'll have Wayland, most likely. We'll need to use Network Manager, because we obviously want Ubuntu TV to have networking capabilities, for a long list of reasons. Can't have a TV without audio, so we'll have PulseAudio as well. We'll want to have notifications. After all, the notification bubbles are very much inspired by those in use on TV. So not providing them for Ubuntu TV would be silly. We'll probably want some kind of indicators, for things like "Recording of the show x has finished" or somthing like that.

So, I've pretty much described Ubuntu Desktop without any apps. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't allow the user to install any software he wants to. It's Ubuntu, after all. I see very good reasons why someone would want to run the music player, for instance. If you agree with all this, then you have to agree that the normal desktop Unity should be provided. In addition to that, of course, we'll need something that is specific to TV which will be the default view when you log in. The question, then, is how to switch between the two views. As you say, this has to be dead easy.

I'm off for the night.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad