ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

UbuntuTV should absolutely be as simple to use for watching video,
listening to music, etc. as any TV or mobile device today.  It should be
simple to use, and the interface should be out of the way and work with a
remote control.
However, I think there is a lot of power and value added by allowing new
kinds of apps that bridge multiple devices and richer inputs from phones,
tablets, PCs and maybe even input devices we haven't thought of yet.
If UbuntuTV is simply another system to consume content on, what's the
point?  As an application developer, I would love to use UbuntuTV to
provide a shared screen.  The TV is unique in that it's the most social
screen.  So far it's been the "idiot box" used to consume content
effortlessly, and that's great, but we can do more.  We can make it the
screen for effortlessly sharing, demoing, fostering discussion as well.
The experience will have to be tailored to the needs of a TV, of course,
and we should make it simple to use, but the payoffs should be worth it.
If you haven't already, I recommend reading this thread on the Ubuntu Phone
list for more on how and why we should do this:
https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg00006.html
David