ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu One Store

Hi all,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply earlier.  This is a good thread
and raises many issues.

Obviously an important aspect of Connected TV is access to online
movies and TV Shows.  I could write volumes on how complicated this
process is, but there is plenty of information already out there.
Rest assured we are working on getting content for Ubuntu TV, but
today it is not an easy process. The good news is the industry seems
to understand that making their content available widely makes them
more money and makes their customers happy.

When working on getting this approval it always helps to demonstrate
market demand, so I like your idea of advocacy.  In your e-mail to
those local production companies you can tell them to contact us at
http://www.ubuntu.com/tv/contact-us.  As we mentioned back at CES in
January we are actively engaging with manufacturers and content
providers, so you can all have an Ubuntu TV in your home.

With regards to subtitles and content only available in your country,
in Ubuntu we already set your system clock based on your location at
install time, so there is no reason we couldn't offer you applications
with content for your area based on your location.  That could extend
to the default system language (obviously with some way to change that
setting if you like).  If you watch the video we posted around CES
you'll notice we already have a design to change the language for
video content currently playing, but as someone pointed out this will
likely depend on whether that medium supplies that information.

These are all good issues to raise and I'm really encouraged to see
this level of discussion on the mailing list.  Keep the discussions
going!

Regards,
Pete