Re: [Question #76919]: How to set path variables in Ubuntu?

Larry Jordan proposed the following answer:
   I believe it depends on what shell you are using; I am using bash and I think that's the default in Ubuntu if you didn't change it when you set yourself up a user account.  (To check, go to System -> Administration -> Users and Groups; select your logon id and click Properties button.  Under the Advanced tab, check to make sure your Shell says /bin/bash.)
   Assuming you ARE using Bash, the path is usually set in a "hidden" file such as .profile in your home directory.  You can add to the path at any point by including something like PATH=$HOME/ProgramFiles/:$PATH as a separate line in the .profile file or the .bashrc file in your home directory; note that paths are separated by colons (:) and not semi-colons (;) like in Windows.  In my experience in the past, the PATH variable should then be exported with a line like
     EXPORT PATH
but I don't see that in my $HOME/.profile path.

     Hope this helps.