Re: Paid subscriber quota changing from 10GB to 50GB

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Steve Alexander <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Yes, implementing a "Human" DCVS isn't easy. Dropbox, Apple's Time
>> Machine, and several other projects have all /tried/ to to do so, but as far
>> as I can tell they haven't succeeded. (It's gotten to the point where
>> Dropbox decided that it just wasn't worth keeping file-revisions and now
>> deletes revisions more than one month old. I haven't heard anyone complain,
>> so I doubt that the feature was at all popular.) Both Dropbox and Time
>> Machine remember small one-line edits that no one cares about. Its been
>> impossible to create a "Human" GUI for viewing revisions because there are
>> just too darn many revisions to be viewed.
>>

> I'm sure that Dropbox want to keep their user interfaces simple and
> intuitive, and this will be part of why their system works like this.
> There's an economic driver for this too, and I think this is very
> significant.
>
> Dropbox wants to sell 50GB of file storage at $10 per month.  That's a flat
> rate for a bunch of storage.
>
> They will be banking on most of their customers using only a fraction of
> the full amount of available storage, because Dropbox is a cloud-based
> service using Amazon S3, and so they will pay for only what users use, not
> the full amount they are offering to users.
>
> There's a problem with this approach if they are also offering to keep
> revisions indefinitely, or just remove revisions when the quota gets full.
>  The problem is, over time, most users will be using the full 50GB. part for
> "live" data and the rest for historical revisions.
>
> It costs Dropbox about the same amount to store a historical revision as it
> costs to store current revision of some files.  But the value to the user is
> totally different.  So, they will want keep only the most valuable
> revisions, and remove the rest.  I guess that's why they've come up with
> this particular policy of removing older revisions automatically.

Exactly. My point wasn't that it makes economic sense to keep all revisions
(it doesn't, as you pointed out) but rather that users don't even /want/ to
keep all revisions. However, by contrast, keeping specific revisions (marked
by users) is both cheep and useful.

You have a good point that it also makes sense to keep recent revisions.
People can use those in case they accidentally delete/change something they
need.

Natan