Re: Ubuntu One client does not connect

Hi Gavin,

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 21:18 +0200, Gavin Ryalls wrote:
> I am running the latest version 1.0.2-0ubuntu2 on ubuntu 9.10. Some of
> the blogs talk about network manager being needed but this is running.
> I have read that when the client tries to connect it should ask for a
> username and password but this doesn't happen.

Yes. Network Manager is currently required though we're working on
removing that dependency. If you don't want to use Network Manager, you
can use our Beta PPA instead of the standard release of the Ubuntu One
client. Instructions on adding the PPA to your system can be found here:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuone/+archive/beta

> Because the application appears to have no functionality at all, it is
> difficult to know what to expect. If I put a file in the U1 directory
> in nautilus, should I then be able to see it on the web? I have three
> files in the client folder but the only one I can see on the web is
> the one I uploaded.

If you have already established a Launchpad account and subscribed to an
Ubuntu One plan, here's what you can expect to happen. If you haven't
been asked to do either of these, you would be asked to in this process.
1) Go to Applications >> Internet and click Ubuntu One
2) The sync client apple will launch and look for a key on your computer
indicating that it has been authenticated to synchronize with Ubuntu
One. If the key does not exist (found in Accessories >> Passwords and
Encryption Keys), a web browser will appear asking you to login to
Launchpad. We've seen good results from most people who use Firefox 3.5
and Chromium. You can check your default web browser under Preferences
>> Preferred Applications.
3) In the web page that appears after logging into Launchpad, you will
be asked to Add your computer. You can customize the name of the
computer but it's not necessary.
4) Your computer should now have an OAUTH token and should start
syncing.

So the only place you need to 'login' is through the web browser on
Launchpad.

>From these steps above, where is the trouble occurring?

Thanks.

Matt