Re: How should we unify notification handling? (was Re: Thoughts on notify-osd API)

Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> David Barth wrote:
>>
>>> fade_in/out and show/hide should be reconsidered. The Plasma API should
>>> help make that more generic.
>> Depending on how we want to unify notification handling, we may or may
>> not need to use the Plasma API:
>
> I thought the goal was about the user experience?  I'd like to see
> notify-osd present itself in a KDE environment in a way that fits in and
> is harmonious with that environment.  I don't think it necessarily follows
> from that that the under the hood bits need to be unified to provide the
> user with a unified experience.

With unified I mean: have GNOME and KDE applications use the same
notification system.

Solution 1 uses notify-osd on both desktops.

Solution 2 makes GNOME notifications use Plasma notification system.

Both solutions ensure a user will get consistent notifications, whether
they use GNOME or KDE applications on their desktop.

Aurélien