Re: How about developing a spec for all DE's and implement a common low-level API...

I see what you mean Scott, but by consistency I simply meant same messages
in the fashion that DE's user is used to seeing them in.  Whether KDE or
Gnome, the messages that are passed should be the same context, displayed
according to that DE's notifications standard.  Thanks for clarification on
the indicator, I want to be involved in this from design perspective and do
not understand all the workings of systray or knotify (not yet that is).