Re: Things I have noticed

Il giorno gio, 04/06/2009 alle 11.00 -0700, Mike Rooney ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What I mean is that we need a mode ("busy" in FUSA would be just nice)
> > where the actions that the computer takes are under the control of the
> > user.
>
> That is what I proposed at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/notify-osd/+bug/372789/comments/24
> . Users should be able to adjust their presence setting and
> applications should be aware of that, including notifications.

Mike, I am nothing but a ubuntu user interested in usability, but I find
this use case very interesting:

"If I am watching a movie or television by myself, I almost always want
to know if someone else IMs me or if a file I was waiting for is
complete (maybe I was just watching something to wait for one of these
actions in the first place), but if I have a group of people over and we
are watching something together, I don't want notifications, so I can
simply appropriately set my Presence to Busy and then I won't receive
these."

Please all take this into consideration. As underlined above it is
sometimes just plain impossible to know if it's better to display or not
a notification. Only in these cases, depending on explicit user
intervention would be much better than just taking one of the two ways
in a fixed manner.

Vincenzo