Re: Updates on Login (was: Re: [Fwd: Update manager])

I think this is the ideal, but every time I start to bring up implicit updates, I get smacked :)

David

Wouter Stomp wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:38 PM, David Siegel<david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Most of us would be perfectly comfortable initiating an update on shutdown,
and walking away from our machine, but I'm not sure if less sophisticated
users are similarly comfortable behaving this way.

Most users don't care about updates and don't want to care about them.
Ideally all updates should be installed automatically in the
background without the user noticing anything. There is a strong study
by google favoring silenty updating the browser, as google chrome
does: http://www.techzoom.net/publications/silent-updates/index.en
Quote from the conclusion: "With silent updates, the user does not
have to care about updates and system maintenance and the system stays
most secure at any time. We think this is a reasonable default for
most Internet users. Furthermore, silent updates are already well
accepted for Internet Web applications." Of course this has some
downsides, but in the end, I think this is the way to go, not
bothering the end user with any computer maintainance tasks.

Cheers,

Wouter