Re: Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Are you saying that you really NEVER experienced an upgrade that creates
> a problem? I use my computer to work. Sometimes I just can't afford the
> risk that the thing breaks, even in minor aspects. E.g. when I am
> preparing a presentation or I am under a deadline. For this reasons the
> popup cannot be that frequent, it'd be annoying to people like me.
>
> But this creates a time-window for worms. If any.

The -security updates trigger the Update Manager to appear immediately.
There is no delay. Non-security updates don't do that, they get queued
and presented every week by default, unless you manually go into the
update manager or package manager, in which case the Update manager is
deferred for another week.

So the effect is:

 - security updates are presented immediately
 - others are presented occasionally, on a cadence that's judged reasonable

Mark